However, my 40s started off didn't start off well when our beloved German Shepherd Sayla died a week after my 40th birthday, on the first day of my week long holiday after leaving my old job and starting my new one. It was sudden and very distressing. And my job move didn't prove to be the best.
Then for my 41st birthday I spent it alone since Mark was competing, my friend's wife had been diagnosed with cancer and I rode 80 of the hardest miles in 80+ degree heat. So not a lot of celebrating there.
This year I told Mark I didn't want a birthday - no gifts, no celebration. I simply didn't feel like it and didn't want him spending any money on me since I wasn't bringing any in. I tried to arrange a dinner party with friendas, but that just proved too much effort to herd all the cats. I know all that was just symptomatic of the slump I was in, but there also was some relief in shedding any obligations to be faux cheerful or rush around cleaning and cooking.
So in the end I decided to just try and have a super relaxed and enjoyable day doing pretty much nothing too challenging. I'd asked Ed to schedule me as ride leader for the Team Z ride just so I'd have to get out and ride. Luckily, the day was rainy at home and threatening of rain all through the ride. So no new Zers turned up who needed help and Ed released me from my ride leader duties, so I chose to ride the 40 mile route. And I had a wonderful time. I was mostly on my own, but that was OK too - just went my own pace (which actually turned out to be pretty good for me), enjoyed all the beautiful views of the Chesapeake and farms and I tacked on two miles to make my ride exactly 42 miles for 42 years. This was day six in a row of exercising, so my body was feeling that lovely achiness that comes from training. And I've felt great all week. On Friday I took Indy out to explore a new rail trail conversion out in Indian Head - an easy 2 hr tempo ride. Just me 'n Indy. It's good for me to be able to spend time alone - accountable only to myself for my health. I need to do more of that.
After the ride, Mark and I got to enjoy a brunch of mimosas, bagels, cream cheese and salmon, and home made vanilla infused ricotta and raspberries. All this was left on my front porch by my thoughtful friend Bob who makes a mean ricotta (my first!). It was incredibly civilized and relaxing.
And to round off the day, I had a nap and then Mark and I went to my favorite coffee spot for mocha and cookies (he graded essays and I read Harry Potter) in the sun. Now home for brunch redux and La Fleche Wallonne on TV.
Does a birthday get any better?
1 comment:
Happy (Non) Birthday to you my dear! I'm so glad that I got a chance to see you yesterday and talk to you and exchange hugs. Considered that HUG an unknown at the time but very SINCERE HAPPY BIRTHDAY wish for this coming year! Glad to hear you had a good low-key special day!
Post a Comment