Tuesday, December 29, 2015

PSA: Friends don't let friends be boring on Facebook

I am a member of a 300+ strong triathlon team.  Between the team and other triathlon friends, I reckon I'll know about 100 people training for Ironman next year.  Of those 100, I'd say I know well and care about 20-30 of you.  Another 30-40 I know as teammates and know something of your stories and I'm sure will get to know you much better as we train together - especially if this is your first Ironman.  The rest of you, I'll get to know over the next few months as I see you struggle, triumph, reach out, or just quietly persevere.

This post is for all of you, whether this is your first trip to the start line of Ironman, or your fifth.  Now, a warning - it's going to come across as churlish and mean spirited.  Please know that I've committed each and every one of the Don'ts.  So take it with a grain of salt, but if nothing else, I hope it makes you stop and think before you post.

My essential advice to you as you document your Ironman journey visually on Facebook is:  Please Don't be Boring.

And in that spirit, here are my top Dos and Don'ts for using photographs over the next few months.

DO POST

  1. (Before you start, take a quick whiz through the photos you've posted on Facebook.  If you have multiple similar photos, see the Don'ts below.)
  2. Doublies or groupies of your run and ride companions.  The emotion of your bonds will translate and serves as a reminder of those very special (aka hardest) training days.
  3. Pics of beautiful scenery.  I mean - it's beautiful!
  4. A Picture of your bike - after all, you're going to be spending hundreds of hours together.  And, see #3.  One caveat, only post one picture of each bike and only if you name your bikes. 

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T POST

  1. Photos of your feet before, during or after a run unless it's a) the first run back after an extended injury, b) the first run on a formal ironman training plan, OR c) the last, longest run of the final build cycle.  Your feet don't talk.  We (your friends) can't tell whether it's spring, winter, a hard run, or a walk in the park.  There is nothing inherently dramatic in a pair of feet.
  2. Photos of swimming pools.  You've seen one pool, you've seen them all (unless it's one of those amazing natural pools along the Aussie coast).  Pools are boring.
  3. A selfie wearing your helmet.  So you went for a ride.  Woop dee.
  4. A selfie wearing an aero-helmet, unless the caption reads "Don't I look like a prize git?"  Why, yes, yes you do.  We all do.  We all have.  Been there, done that.  Aero helmets are inherently unattractive and make everyone look like a git.
  5. Oh hell - let's just makes that "A selfie."  Period.  
  6. Photos of your Garmin.  We all have one.  I can't tell yours from Adam's.  If it doesn't have a 2 in front of a double digit run mileage or a 10 in front of the three digit ride mileage, it's just a standard Ironman training day.
REMEMBER
Ask yourself why you're posting these photos.  Think back to why you started this journey.  If you're looking for approval or want to collect likes, then you're in for a very long few months of very miserable training.  If you have very personal reasons for training for Ironman, how do your photos tell that story?  What is unique about you and your journey?  Everyone has an Ironman story and they're all compelling.  Your story is compelling,  Make your photos compelling too.

Please, for the sake of me and your 583 friends.

No comments: