Sunday, March 29, 2009

Can time stand still when you're going 4 mph?

Unfortunately, the answer if yes - especially when you're watching the cyclometer and you've only gone 1/2 a mile and you look up and can see that the road continues straight up with no end in sight.

Truthfully, time did seem to stand still in West Virginia this week. Thanks to an extremely generous (and insistent) workmate, Mark and I were able to spend the weekend in a cabin (for you NZ readers, this is *no* bach - let me assure you. Think more one of those nice little places down the Sounds) near a ski resort in West Virginia. We took the dogs and all the exercise gear and had a blast. The view from the cabin was gorgeous and the quiet was heavenly. With no cell coverage, no computers and no TV, it was a vacation from too much connection with the outside world.

Sleep figured large - I fell asleep in front of the fire, curled up on one of the dog's beds, slept in until 9 am (unheard of!) and slept this morning under a blanket on the most incredibly comfortable couch. Here's hoping I've banked enough sleep for the week.

Today's run was literally a washout. I was supposed to go 13 miles, but thanks to some leaden legs after yesterday's ride and torrential rain, I bailed after 6 miles - I simply wasn't able to get going or even to get my heart rate up into Z2. Didn't stop me eating an enormous cooked breakfast though.

My friend Holly described the road around the cabin as 'rolling hills.' I need to have a word with Holly. Those suckers are mountainous. I was already getting anxious when on Friday night we drove into town for some supplies and I saw the 9% grade sign. We'd have to cycle *up* that. Turns out though, that wasn't the worst hill. There was the 5 miles of downhill where I hit 44 mph, but there was a huge amount of 4 mph going uphill. The ride totally about 6,300 feet of climbing in 43 miles, which explains why it hurt so much. The Ironman will have about 6,500 feet of climbing in 112 miles, so it's a good feeling knowing that I survived. I even went for a 5 minute run immediately after the ride and the legs actually felt great. Pity that didn't hold over until the next day!

The ride also was stunningly beautiful. My favorite part was alongside the river (where we paid for it by climbing almost vertically out of the valley to meet the other road) and going fast down the mountain.

Other highlights were Dylan attacking the neighbor dog Bluebell (embarrassing, but only typical dog behavior thankfully) and Tina deciding that the tray of shoes needed to be guarded against all comers. Oh, and Dylan disappearing upstairs whenever Mark approached the stove. Poor sensitive soul. One time I found him cowering in the farthest corner of the bathroom.

So, I survived the end of the first week or a three week build. Normally we build two weeks, recover one. But for some reason, we're building for three weeks this time. I managed to get through the week only skipping one workout (a strength workout) and even managed two days with three workouts each. I had such great workouts on Tuesday that I celebrated by going out for beer and wings which felt terribly naughty on a school night, but I was so energized that I did fine the next day at work.

I realised that today is the 8th anniversary of becoming an American citizen. It's been an interesting ride, for sure. I'm still very proud to be an American and when I spend time in places like West Virginia, I'm so thankful to be able to enjoy such an incredibly beautiful county.

No comments: