Well, I survived the first two week block of build, which means a week of recovery with fewer and shorter workouts. I only ended up two workouts behind each week (funnily enough, I didn't make the swims on Tuesday nights - 9 pm - what's with that, eh?). It was exhausting though, and not helped by today's 50 mile ride (OK - 48 miles, but who's counting?) that was utterly utterly miserable. I managed to stay in Zone 2 for the first hour, but there was far more uphill than I thought there'd be and it was cold and rainy. It rained the whole time and my feet got squishy and frozen, my back looked like I'd laid down and a mountain bike had ridden up and down leaving a trail of mud from ass to neck, and by about mile 4o, Indy just wasn't shifting properly - there was so much grit in the gearing. The highlight was cycling parallel to railroad tracks and racing a train. I lost the race, but at least it warmed me up briefly. Back at home, I had to lie down in front of the fire under a blanket with Dylan cuddling my other side to finally warm up. I'm going to sleep well tonight!
Mark is between races - last week was torrential rain and mud, so hopefully next weekend's race will be better, though he doesn't have a good track record with the weather for his races. My first race is in just over a month. Hopefully Spring will have properly arrived by then and we will have left all this teaser days behind.
In other news, our daphne is in full bloom and the scent is heavenly at the front door. There are many other signs of Spring in the garden, including hellebores flowering and daffs popping up.
That's all. I'm nearly finished with a glass of wine, which means I'll be asleep in a couple of hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment