Thursday, July 17, 2008

Um ... so what's this all about?

So, I've officially arrived at 'Web2.0,' that mythical collection of technologies and killer apps that comprise modern online usage. I now have a blog. Does this mean that I've 'made it?' Or does it mean that I am virtual mutton dressed up as lamb?

I guess I could hunt for the navel of the Web and gaze at it for a while, or I could figure out what I want this blog to be and just go with that. Here goes (and because this is a blog, I'm going to take my time explaining myself).

Five years ago, I became a different person. It's really as simple as that. In 2003, I lost 40lbs and it changed my life. I looked at everything differently, I dressed myself differently, I made different choices than I had before. But, as great as I felt, I knew that it was only half the equation. If I wanted to live longer to enjoy my new body, then I had to consider my heart and lungs along with my waistline and (unfortunately) smaller boobs (it is one of the downsides of losing weight that you can't chose where to lose it from).

Consequently, in 2004, I completely this initial journey when I crossed the finish line of the Danskin New York sprint triathlon. I cried like a baby and still view that as probably my greatest accomplishment. Since then, I've written reports on races, both running and triathlons, and participated in bike tours and sent them off to the friends and family around the world. I have no doubt that even now, as they've read of the longer distances and the investment of time and money that we've poured into this sport, they've shaken their heads and wondered at who this person is. Not the daughter we raised, not the sister/daughter-in-law/sister-in-law that we'd known for 20+ years. Physically unrecognizable (literally - one of my favorite memories was watching my parents' and family's faces look in vain for us as Mark and I descended the escalator on our first trip home since secretly losing 40lbs each), reveling in the outdoors and forms of exercise that certainly didn't share anything in common with cricket or golf, preferring to spend out vacations slogging up mountains on two wheels.

We many of us feel disconnected from our families. Mark and I have felt that in so many ways over the past 16 years. Not only physically - first 6,000 and then 9,500 miles from home but now we have evolved into strangers when it comes to interests and priorities in many ways. So, perhaps this is partially my attempt to try and articulate what this life is all about for me.

And to record in one place what I'm thinking and experiencing. I look forward to reading back over my--already indulgent--musings as I move through what will be, five years later in 2009, a new transformation.

Here is the small print. I intend to be 'me' in this blog. That means that I'll swear like a ... well, like a Kiwi. That means that I'll express opinions that may (or may not) shock delicate ears, both young and old. I hope that my M&D and my PIL will read this, as well as my niece (and nephew, if I promise to include lots of information about American language!) and long away friends. Nearby friends will be living this with me (I hope), possibly closer than they wish!

Along the way, if it helps, you'll also hear about:
  • our kitchen door (still absent)
  • our bathroom (still present, thankfully)
  • our animals (still cute)
  • our rescue dogs (starting with Tina, one of the loveliest dogs we've ever met)
  • various sporting events (right now, I am still reeling at the news that a young ride on the Tour De France tested positive for doping - bloody idiot. Jens Voight is a god.)
  • ooh - the election - that'll be a good one!
  • chances are, a new bike, various crashes and many many many moment of despair.
Right now, I'm just feeling some mild trepidation about the flying up to Lake Placid and signing up for next year's race. I will update the blog over the weekend (all from my cell phone - isn't this technology amazing!) with impressions and hopefully some funny stories. And the hunt for the pastry store that is on the bike route. Mark and I visited on our bike tour a couple of years ago and he still raves about the best pie he's ever had.

No comments: