Sunday, June 14, 2009

The spirit is willing, but the body is weak

So everything's been going to plan on the training front. Mooseman was my final tune up race and only two heavy training weekends to go. I'm very tired but thinking "I can get through this."

Nope.

I guess it was inevitable that something would go wrong.

I haven't been seriously sick since I got healthy over seven years ago. The odd 24hr stomach bug or quick cold, but nothing of any duration or real pain. 20 hours in a car with Mark and his 'flu did the trick though. Wheeeee. What fun. It's been a weird 'flu - went straight into my chest and then worked its way up to my head, which now feels like it's going to explode.

And as a bonus, I discovered the perfect formula for self-sabotage:

Physical exhaustion (Ironman training peaking) + Emotional exhaustion (IM training and work stress) + Illness = Lowered Immunity to fight off any challenge to my extremely delicate mental stability.

So. Bad week all in all and weekend spent in bed feeling very sorry for myself. Now I can add to my worries what will missing an entire weekend of major workouts (10 mile run, 110 mile ride) mean for my prep for the race? My coach says not to worry, but I missed loads of workout last week as I got sick and since it's Sunday night and I still feel like crap, I expect to miss more next week. So of course I worry.

Sigh.

Next weekend is the big one though. 2.5 mile swim and 20 mile run on Saturday, then 120 mile ride on Sunday. Got to get well enough to get through that and then can start the taper (during which I fully expect to feel like crap, of course!).

Sigh.

Good news is that the reports from the road is that today's ride went well and my friends who are on track for Ironman Switzerland completed their big weekend (they're a week ahead of us) injury free and in good spirits. So yeah them!

1 comment:

Es --- IRONMAN! said...

No worries about missing some workouts. As I learned after my injury - your fitness is there and won't go away overnight, in a week, in three weeks. Get healthy - that's the most important thing.

As Ed said to me when I was sidelined - you could skip every practice between now and the race and you would still finish. We (Team Z) are far ahead of the average-average triathletes when it comes to training.