The day has been lovely so far. Aside from the afore-mentioned run and ride, Mark and I have been very lazy, which is our preference for Christmas after the usual frenzy of Thanks
I did have a few minutes of crying over remembering Sayla when I read a lovely story in the Post about a postie who brings gifts to dogs on his route and remembers even the dogs that had died that year. God I miss Say. I went and got 'her' decoration for comfort - the snowman that she chewed the carrot nose off one year and the twig broom off the next year.
Went to see a movie in the afternoon - "Doubt." Very good but not very uplifting. Kinda depressing in fact. We'll try to do better tomorrow.
Now we're just finishing off dinner preparations (individual beef wellingtons with brussel sprout and cauliflower gratin and mashed taties, followed by pumpkin pie made with an essential ingredient - 10 year old scotch). Listening to the Messiah - the greatest music ever written? I know it so well - every word and every contralto part. I noted to Mark that when I forced him to come watch me perform in it 20 odd years ago, that he had no idea that he'd be listening to it every year for the rest of his life. I don't think he minds indulging me in this though.
Just hangin' with my family and reflecting on the year past and the year to come. More on that later I imagine. It's been a life-changing year in more than one way.
No comments:
Post a Comment