Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hills, glorious hills!

My coach has suggested that I start running my long runs of rolling or hilly courses. Not only will this help me overcome my fear of hills (much like our bike tour in the Adirondacks did for cycling up mountains a couple of years ago), but it's supposed to help my body learn to run hills in a lower heart rate zone. Normal long runs are supposed to be in Z2, but when you run up hills, it's hard not to go into Z3 and stay there.

Today's run was only eight miles, although I did run the Reindeer Romp 5K as a buddy runner to a ten year old girl first, but that was more of a warm up. I didn't find the hills all that hard to run, but my HR definitely didn't stay in Z2! All a learning opportunity, right?

No comments: