Off to get my VO2Max tested on the bike tomorrow morning. This involved warming up, then spending 20 minutes (or as long as I can last) ratcheting up the resistance on the trainer until my heart nearly maxes out (emphasis on 'nearly' M&D - this is NOT dangerous). I'll be wearing a special mask that measures the oxygen levels as my heart and lungs work harder and harder. The results will show exactly where the cutoffs are for my heart rate - at what heart rate point does my body start burning (practically unlimited) fat? At what point does my body start burning (limited) glycogen from carbohydrates? At the end of this, I'll know the magic numbers - where should I keep my heart rate to stay in Zone 2 (to train my body to use fat as a fuel during a race), and where does my Zone 4 lie - so I know what I can push my heart rate to towards the end of a longer race?
The data are invaluable, but lord it hurts to get it! I've had my zones tested on the bike before (about 2.5 years ago and a few months ago on the run), so I know all about the oxygen deprivation and the burning legs as I try to pull my knees up with my hip flexors and keep my legs going around and around. I know all about the involuntary groaning as I try to keep going for just one more minute, forcing all the air from my lungs.
Phew. And I'm getting up at o'dark hundred for this?
No comments:
Post a Comment