Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm in love!

In a single day, Barack Obama has turned my crush into the real thing. Not only did he and DC Mayor Adrian Fenty (an accomplished triathlete, btw) head to the ultimate DC food destination, Ben's Chili Bowl, but later he and his family spent time at my favorite spot on the Mall - the Lincoln Memorial. Abe and I go back a ways. I visited him on the Saturday after Sept 11 while Bike DC was going on, and I read his words that spoke to me as if they'd been written on Sept 12. And every time I've gone there since, it has been as close to a spiritual experience as I've ever had.

The symbolisms of these two visits are significant. On the one hand, Obama is showing that he's serious about connecting with this amazing city in a way that previous presidents haven't (Bush apparently last went out to eat in DC four years ago and has never advocated for representation in Congress--unlike Clinton who sported DC's "Taxation without Representation" license plates on his official presidential vehicles). I also like that he spent time with Fenty in an unscripted, casual activity that had none of the trappings of state - the sort of thing Fenty is famous for. Obama seemed to be showing his respect for Fenty's authority in and knowledge of DC, rather than pulling rank. And besides - two beautiful black men together? That's a photo op I'd have given a lot to see!

And the visit to Abe? To me that shows a recognition of the extraordinary situation we find ourselves in and the need for a true leader. And how significant is the connection between the man who freed the slaves through the man who told of his dream on those steps to the man who is fulfilling that dream?

No comments: