Saturday, July 25, 2009

24 hrs to go

Did I just write that? Only 24hrs? Waddayaknow. I made it thus far. And I'm still not worried. But I'm worried about not being worried. Does that count?

Mark and I started to discuss yesterday what might prevent me from finishing. He suggested a pack of rabid squirrels (or chipmunks, like the one that visited in our cabin yesterday - cheeky little bugger), but I suggested that I'd throw shotblocks at them to distract them. Brilliant! Then I said "mechanical failure." We didn't have much to combat that, although Indy is kitted out with two tubes (one strapped between my aerobars), two cartridges, money for emergency purchases and one tire (strapped to my tool bag). And there are mechanics who will come and help you if you're patient. A broken chain is likely to stop me though. How about stomach issues? Well, I'd try the old uni trick of making myself throw up, but if I can't keep any nutrition down, my day is likely to be over at some point. I suggested a crash would stop me, but Mark just answered "not necessarily." Ahhh ... that felt good. At least that's one catastrohpe I've had experience with, eh?

At the athlete dinner last night, the skies opened and it bucketed down like it did last year (14 hours straight in that case) which was a bit disconcerting. The officials also warned us that thunderstorms were forecast for the morning, and if that's the case, they might delay the race start 30 mins. Then 60. If they delay 60 minutes, they'd turn the race into a single loop swim. Then if they have to delay longer, they'd cancel the swim altogether. There was a palpable gloom that settled over the athletes at that thought. I've said to Mark before that if for some reason I don't finish, then IMNZ is still open in March. If the race is modified in anyway, then I'll be looking for some other Ironman to complete. I don't think I'll feel like a true Ironman if I don't complete 140.6 miles. 60% chance of thunderstorms as of writing this.

I'd like to send out a few 'thankyous' while I think of it. It's been great having my uncle Garth and his daughter Mel with me all the way from NZ. They're such typical Kiwis - down to earth, pragmatic, dry sense of humor. They're not letting me get away with anything and Garth just reminded me that I can say how disappointed I'd be if they cancel the swim, but I'm not allowed to worry about it. Ta Garth!

My Team Z mates have been fantastic. They're the most enthusisatic, supportive, wise and funny people you're ever likely to meet and I can't wait to hear those cowbells and horns tomorrow.

I've been lucky enough to have four coaches to see me through this journey. Ed is a funny chap - pretty much zero sympathy for any kind of whining, but there when you need him. I'll never forget him calling me up in the Emergency Room and telling me "whatever you do, don't let them cast you." And the team from Potomac River Running are the best anyone could hope for. How lucky am I to have Margie Shapiro to help talk me through my goals and problems and fears?

I've had so many friends who are not involved in this sport who have patiently listened to me explaining in excruciating detail the concept of heart rate zones, nutrition and speed intervals. What troupers!

In particular, I'd like to single out my mate Bob. He's literally picked up the pieces when I've fallen, only once suggested I take up a sport that would have risked me blowing out my knees within five minutes, and always told me how amazing I am for doing this truly stupid thing.

And Mark? What can I say about the greatest sherpa of all time? He never batted an eyelid when I said I wanted to do this. He's cooked and held down the home front all year. He's kept up his own race schedule without complaining that I wasn't there for him. He joined Team Z so he could spend more time with his wife. He's patiently listened to my fears and quietly suggested strategies to combat them. And he's here now doing everything for me so I don't have to worry about anything except the race.

Kiaora everyone!

OK - off to my very last workout. Then some serious relaxation which will be very difficult for someone like me who hates to sit still. More packing and list making and visualization. Hopefully some Tour too!

And NOT worrying about the weather.

No comments: