Saturday, July 25, 2009

OK, so I'm getting a little excited

Had a wee cry in the car back from LP to the cabin this avo. It's been a long way to get here. The atmosphere in town is really picking up. Weather today is perfection. Could someone order us the same for tomorrow please?

For those of you who have followed along, I've talked a lot about hills. This bike course basically has six sections:
  1. Placid to the top of the Keene downhill - roughly 6 miles, 10k - steady uphills where I'll have to concentrate to slow down to stay in Zone 2, but I know it is possible.
  2. Downhill into Keene - 6 miles (10k) of screaming downhill reaching 45+mph (72kph - in the past, I hit 50mph on this stretch, but won't tomorrow, promise!). Stay calm, enjoy the speed, concentrate.
  3. Keene to Jay - roughly 10 miles of beautiful flat tempo riding. I'll do a lot of fueling in this part.
  4. Jay to Wilmington - 5 miles of stairstep hills. Small hills but after the flat, they're a real bitch and there's never any downhill to relieve the uphill.
  5. Out and back - 12 miles of rolling forested roads, freshly paved (yeah!)
  6. The bears and cherries - 11 miles of climbing Big Cherry, Little Cherry, Mama, Papa and Baby Bear. Now *this* part can be a heartbreaker.
Here's the profile - we do the course twice, so you'll see the repetition:


Off to the Team Z celebration!

No comments: