Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My life in ziplocs, bottles and toffee pops

Five days to go and we head north tomorrow, so it's packing day. I have every size of ziploc imaginable, four bike bottles and eight fuel belt bottles for the run. I also have 48 shotblocks for the marathon (although I'm assuming I'll ditch the fuel belt for the second loop - too uncomfortable after over 2.5 hours) and toffee pops as a very special treat for mile 80 on the bike. I hope the chocolate survives a day in the sun!

Speaking of sun, the forecast as of today is for 78 (26) and periods of clouds and sunshine with a shower or thunderstorm possible. That means it'll either be 95 and humid as hell or rain all day. We also have heavy duty garbage bags just in case and every rain jacket we own in the house for the sherpas

Our uncle and cousin arrived yesterday and that really signified my change in focus to the race. I'm so excited to have them here - they've brought with them a large piece of my home, my 'turangawaewae' and are as comfortable as an old, favorite sweater. (They're more exciting individuals than that, but you get the picture.)

In other news, my doctor declared that my elbow is healing and I could start swimming. Yeah, right - I'd already done at least 1.5 miles by then. But now I can do so without the crushing guilt.

No comments: